Gurgaon, India, 29th May 2012- Sistema Shyam TeleServices Ltd. (SSTL), which operates its telecom services under the MTS brand in India, today announces its unaudited consolidated financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012.
Key Financial & Operational Highlights for the First Quarter of 2012
-Consolidated revenues up by 3.8% Q-o-Q to INR 4,072 million (USD 81 million). Total wireless (Voice & Data) subscriber base for the quarter grew by 5.3% to 15.82 million.
- Non-voice revenues from both data and mobile VAS for the quarter up by 11.5% Q-o-Q to INR 1,429 million (USD 28.4 million), which now contributes 35.1% of total revenue and the contribution has increased by 2.43 p.p for the quarter.
- Blended mobile ARPU for the quarter declined by 2.3% to INR 85.
- SSTL's data card subscriber base for the quarter up by 15% to 1.54 million subscribers. SSTL added 0.21 million data card subscribers during the quarter.
- The Company has rapidly expanded its HSD services to over 400 towns across India.
- Consolidated OIBDA loss for the quarter stands at INR 3,621 million (USD 72 mn). OIBDA margins improved 56 p.p. Q-o-Q.
- SSTL introduced MTS Super Zero - a first of its kind initiative for both new and existing prepaid voice customers across India. MTS customers will now be able to make unlimited MTS to MTS local and national calls at a rate as low asZero Paisa.
According to Vsevolod Rozanov, President and Chief Executive Officer of Sistema Shyam Teleservices Ltd, "Inspite of numerous legal and regulatory challenges being faced by the entire telecom industry, SSTL has delivered strong results. The Company continued to stay true to its focus on driving operational efficiencies across all areas of its business. These efforts have resulted in significant improvement in OIBDA margins. Our Non Voice revenues continued to grow in double digits. Non Voice revenues now contribute more that 35% of the total revenues of SSTL, which is amongst the highest in the industry."