Moscow, Russian Federation – PJSC MTS (NYSE: MBT, MOEX: MTSS), the leading telecommunications operator and digital service provider in Russia, and Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC), a global leader in communications technology (ICT), have announced an agreement to launch the first 5G network segments in Russia.
At Mobile World Congress 2019, the two companies signed the agreement on 5G Russia roadmap for 2019-2022. The roadmap outlines the steps to develop and deploy the first segments of 5G networks within pilot zones and commercial clusters in the first year. The roadmap further describes the planned process of the current LTE networks evolution to high-speed LTE Advanced Pro Gigabit LTE networks, as well as strategies for further development and launching of innovative commercial solutions and products based on 5G technologies.
Alexey Kornya, MTS President and CEO, commented:
“Back in December 2015, we signed a cooperation agreement with Ericsson on 5G technology. We hit all the targets envisaged under that agreement. Together, we have successfully tested advanced 5G-technologies and solutions on the MTS network with excellent results. Today, we are entering a new phase of our collaboration as we move towards the next generation standard. We are ready to launch the first 5G pilot zones on the MTS commercial network, combining our achievements and insights with exciting new technologies. We hope that our continued cooperation with leading vendors in conjunction with the earliest possible availability of the required frequencies to Russian telecom operators will accelerate the deployment of 5G networks across the whole country, and prove to be an impetus for further innovation.”
Arun Bansal, President and Head of Europe & Latin America, Ericsson, commented:
“MTS and Ericsson continue to demonstrate industry leadership through ongoing innovation and collaboration. We continue to work closely with MTS to expand our strategic partnership and support MTS in successfully deploying 5G. This year we will deploy commercial Gigabit LTE networks based on LTE Advanced Pro standard, Massive MIMO and LAA with peak data rates close to 1 Gb/sec. Our joint efforts will make MTS subscribers among the first in Russia to benefit from 5G services.”
Key Roadmap milestones:
· Deployment of the first pre-commercial 5G NR pilot
· Launch of the first 5G Fixed Wireless Access pilot
· Deployment of commercial Gigabit LTE solution: based on LTE Advanced Pro standard, networks including Massive MIMO and LAA with peak data rates close to 1 Gb/sec
· Launch of Private Networks solution based on LTE, Mission critical PTT, Enterprise LTE Core solution and corresponding services
· Further development of IoT use cases for industry, agriculture, city infrastructure and utilities.
· Deployment of 5G networks for eMBB use cases in Russian regions
· Further LTE evolution – deployments of network technology for super low latency and Short TTI.
· Deployment of extended Private Networks for smart manufacturing
· Support of virtual reality applications in commercial products
· Test zones for autonomous transport.
For further information, please contact in Moscow:
Investor Relations Department
Mobile TeleSystems PJSC
Tel: +7 495 223 2025